Frequently Asked Questions

When are tuition and fee payments due?

A. They are due at the time of registration however; if you are to receive financial aid or have set-up arrangements with our payment plan agency you will be asked to sign a promissory note to defer payment. Please keep in mind that you are 100% responsible for your account balance if your financial aid application is not processed or not approved.

Q. Do you offer a payment plan?

A. Yes, you may contact Sallie Mae’s Academic Management Services which is an outside agency used by the university. There are two (2) separate payment plan options you may choose from. The five (5) month payment or the ten (10) month plan. Please contact AMS directly to discuss the options at 1-800-635-0120. There is an administrative fee to join either plan, this fee is non-refundable. 

Q. Where can I make my payment(s)?

A. You may make your payment(s) online via the St. Thomas University website at and selecting “Pay On line” from the “Important Links” drop-down menu, or you may visit the Bobcat Enrollment Center on campus. You may also pay by wire transfer through any full service bank in your area. Direct your wire transfer to; SunTrust/Miami, N.A. Corporate Cash Management, 777 Brickell Avenue, Miami FL 33131. ABA Number: 061000104 Account Number: 0189001210477 St. Thomas University 16401 NW 37 Avenue, Miami Gardens FL 33054, Phone: 305-628-6704. Please be sure to include your name, and/or ID number to assure credit to your student account.

Q. What methods of payment do you accept?

A. We accept cash, checks, money orders, traveler’s checks, or credit cards (Visa, Master Card or Discover). We do not accept American Express.

Q. May I pay with a post-dated check? 

A. We do not accept post-dated checks.

Q. How can I keep track of my balance? 

A. A monthly statement is mailed to the current address of all students until their financial account balance is zero. Please make sure that the address that we have for you at the Bobcat Enrollment Center is correct. We encourage you to follow-up on all required financial aid documentation to avoid delays in receiving your aid.

Q. What happens if there is a credit balance on my student account?

A. This means you received financial aid (i.e., loans, grants, scholarships) in excess of your total tuition and fee charges or an overpayment was made on your financial account. A direct deposit refund is generated for this credit amount and sent directly to your personal bank account that we currently have on file. St. Thomas no longer offers paper checks for refunds. All students are required to enroll in direct deposit. Students who have not enrolled in direct deposit will have 3 business days after the credit appears on the student account to enroll using a personal bank account. If you do not enroll in direct deposit with your personal banking information, we will enroll you into the debit card program that we offer through SunTrust Bank.  The direct deposit form is available here. It will take up to ten (10) business days before the direct deposit status is in effect.

Q. How do I find out when my loans are on my student tuition account?

A. You may check with the Bobcat Enrollment Center in person in Dooner Hall or by phone at 305-474-6900. You may also or you may check your student account via the web at and then select “Services Offered.”

Q. If my student account reflects a credit balance after payments have been posted may I leave that credit on my account for the future term?

A. Yes you may, but you must advise the Bobcat Enrollment Center in writing of your decision to do so.

Q. What happens if I do not receive my refund?

A. If you do not receive your Financial Aid refund, you must report it to the Bobcat Enrollment Center in writing. A stop payment will be placed on the deposit and a new deposit will be issued. Please allow at least ten (10) business days for this entire process to be completed.

Q. What can stop me from receiving transcripts?

A. Unpaid balances on your student account, past due Perkins loan payments, and incomplete exit counseling can be the reason for blocking the release of your transcript. You must make sure that your account reflects a zero balance before your transcript can be released.

Q. Is there a fee for a copy of my transcript?

A. Students are eligible to receive three (3) official transcripts at no charge per calendar year. The cost of an official transcript after receiving three (3) complimentary transcripts for the current academic year is $15.00 each. The cost of an official transcript next day pick-up service is $25.00 each.

Q. How can I get credit to purchase my books?

A. Whenever you apply for financial aid, you can apply for additional funds for your books. Those additional funds will be issued to you upon your request in the form of Book vouchers, these vouchers are to be used at our campus bookstore only; you may visit the Bobcat Enrollment Center to request a book voucher or book vouchers, from one of the Enrollment Service Specialist. We encourage all students to obtain an estimated value of their total cost of books and supplies directly from Follett’s Bookstore before requesting book vouchers. Once book vouchers are issued they cannot be returned or refunded.

Q. May I use my St. Thomas book vouchers anywhere else on campus?

A. Book vouchers are only accepted in the St. Thomas University Follett’s Bookstore.

Q. In order to receive Federal Aid, how many credits must I register for?

A. As an undergraduate (UG) or law school student you must be registered for at least six (6) credits each semester in order to be eligible to receive financial aid. As a graduate (GR) student you must be registered for at least three (3) credits.

Q. How do I obtain a copy of my current term’s tuition receipt?

A. You may request a copy of your receipt by completing an Invoice or Tuition Payment Receipt request form and submitting it to the Bobcat Enrollment Center for processing. Please allow 5-10 business days for completion.

Q. I paid for my classes but then dropped them prior to the Add/Drop deadline, how and when will this money be refunded to me?

A. Credit balances are refunded by direct deposit within three (3) business days after the credit appears on the student’s account.

Q. I added a class after the class started, is there a fee for adding the class late?

A. Students that have not completed registration by the first day of the term will be assessed a $150 late registration fee during the first week of classes. After the first week of classes, students will be assessed a $300 late registration fee.

Q. What do I need to do to have Florida Prepaid College Program (FPCP) billed for my tuition?

A. Make sure you notify the Bobcat Enrollment Center of your participation in the Florida Prepaid College program. You must bring your FPCP ID into the office or e-mail your name and social security number to EACH SEMESTER, so that an invoice can be sent to the FPCP Finance Department on your behalf. If you are a freshmen or first time participant in the FPCP you must complete a Transfer Authorization form and mail it to the address on the form, or you may call 1-800-552-4723 for further instructions. Because the FPCP was initially designed to pay the tuition for State or public colleges the Transfer Authorization form authorizes payment of tuition to private institutions, such as St. Thomas. The form is also available on our web page here.

Q. If I received a Perkins loan and want to begin repaying it, what should I do?

A. A Perkins loan is a federally backed loan dispersed through ST. Thomas University and may be repaid directly to St. Thomas University. You may make payments in the Bobcat Enrollment Center using cash, checks, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard & Discover only) or money order. You may also pay online via our web link at, click on “make a payment,” and select the Perkins Loan option. Another repayment option is through our third-party billing service, Educational Computer Service, Inc. (ECSI), in which you send payments directly to ECSI. Contact their office at 1-800-437-6931 for clarity on their payment process.

Q. What if I do not attend classes and have Financial Aid and/or Florida Prepaid, what happens with those dollars?

A. If you make the decision to not attend classes please make sure you officially drop or withdraw from those classes. If you do not officially drop or withdraw you will be held responsible for payment and any monies received on your behalf, via financial aid and or Florida Prepaid will be used as payment for those classes. If you do officially drop or withdraw and do so by the posted deadline dates and your student account does not reflect a balance owed, your account will show a credit amount and all monies due to you will be refunded in a check or via direct deposit.